The perfect day trip from Dublin to Howth

Are you planning a trip to Dublin? Make sure you don’t miss out on a beautiful little corner of Ireland called Howth!

Who knew this little hideaway is only 30 minutes away from the city?

Not only does Larry Mullen have a house in Howth overlooking the beach (He’s the drummer from U2, pretty cool huh!?) It is also home to some of the best Fish and Chips in Dublin, Leo Burdocks is pretty famous for its crispy bits! What more could you want?!

I found it really easy to get to Howth from Dublin City centre, I caught the DART train from Connolly Station, O’Connell Street to Howth for €20. It is super easy to find the right train & it only takes 30 minutes!

Whilst on the train I passed through Sutton, which is so pretty I nearly jumped off the train early! It’s only one stop before Howth along the coast and the journey between the two stations is absolutely beautiful.

When I arrived in Howth I went straight to the pier where I sat and watched the fishermen along the bay, eating an Ice cream watching the world go by, it’s totally different to the city centre, yet so close!

Howth is so quiet and peaceful, it has the best views of Ireland’s Eye (a beautiful island that’s just a 15-minute boat ride away) and lovely views of the harbour and the lighthouse. There are lots of lovely restaurants with amazing fresh seafood.

It wouldn’t truly be a trip to Ireland without a traditional pub to visit. ‘The Dog House’ pub and tea rooms are conveniently located right next to the train station!

Howth Markets are also on every weekend. I was there on a Thursday so there were only a few stalls open. If you’re travelling over a weekend I’d definitely go and have a look! www.howthmarket.ie

I spotted a Seal bobbing its head in and out of the water too, but I was far too slow to get a picture. Although my lovely friend Veruska managed to snap this little beauty sunbathing the following day! How cute is he!

Instagram: @Verucuochina

Enjoy

Hannah…xo

1. David Pryor
    August 13, 2017 / 10:12 am

Thanks for sharing our lovely village of Howth. For reader update. Tge Dart fare to Howth is circa 4 euro not 20 as mentioned. Great article ans supdr images too.. lol Dave x

August 13, 2017 / 12:04 pm

Hey David – Oh how strange! I was charged 20! Thanks for the update 😊

2. September 3, 2017 / 10:39 am

Hannah, i love trains and I love riding them! When traveling abroad, I always try my best to have an experience with the local train, whether it is an MRT, LRT, commuter / suburban train like you had, or intercity train. I’ve never heard of Howth, but it tempts me to go there when I’m in Ireland someday.

So, Ireland is infamous for its pubs? Okay then, well noted. 😀

3. Johnny
    November 23, 2017 / 9:38 pm

Nice one

4. December 22, 2017 / 10:47 pm

What an absolutely beautiful place does Howth look, I would love to take a walk down the beach, that would be so lovely, perhaps one day I will get to go for myself.

5. December 23, 2017 / 12:11 am

One of my best friends is from Ireland and I have always wanted to be able to go with her, as she has shown me pictures and it is stunning. Howth reminds me of the Witterings in Sussex which is a compliment as it is beautiful x

6. December 23, 2017 / 9:08 am

What a picturesque place. It looks beautiful. I really don’t know why I haven’t been to Ireland, I need to get there.

7. December 23, 2017 / 9:22 am

I’ve never heard of Howth before, but this sleepy little village looks right up my street Hannah! I’d love to visit one day, maybe when I’m next over in Dublin I’ll take a trip out to Howth x

8. December 23, 2017 / 9:47 am

Howth looks so beautiful – I would never even known it existed if it weren’t for this post. And that pub is so twee! I really want to go now!

C x

9. December 23, 2017 / 11:54 am

I have never been to Dublin but my husband loves the city and has vowed to take me to visit soon

10. adriana
    December 24, 2017 / 5:11 am

It looks SO beautiful there! I need to add it to my list – I want to see everything lol! Love this!

11. December 24, 2017 / 5:55 pm

Howth looks like a lovely place to visit, its very pretty and those tearooms look awesome. Lovely pictures of the beach too.

12. December 24, 2017 / 8:31 pm

Howth looks stunning. I have only been to Dublin a couple of times, but this isn’t an area I have explored. Definitely going to next time! Thanks for the inspiration! 🙂

13. December 24, 2017 / 9:30 pm

I’ve never heard of Howth but would love to go, you make it sound like such a great place to visit!