Adventure Through The Alps

Known for its beautiful alpine mountains, stunning lakes and (literally) the best chocolate I’ve ever tasted, Switzerland is one of the world’s most picturesque destinations!

You all know how much I love a spontaneous trip and this trip was no different!

Tuesday night I was sat in the lounge scrolling through my feed as usual, when I scrolled past Catherine’s unbeliavable photo, that was the point my research started and I knew it was time to head to Switzerland!

I mean, just look at that view…

@swissblisstravel https://www.swissblisstravel.com/

By Friday our bags were packed, Swiss map in hand and off to Folkestone we go to the Eurotunnel! It’s so quick, within 30 minutes we were in Calais. Let the fun begin!

Calais to Switzerland is then around a 8.5 hour drive (The not-so-fun part, although a ridiculously beautiful drive!)

After hours of research (and lots of helpful tips from Catherine) we decided the best place to head to was Kandersteg & Interlaken. We only had Saturday – Monday so we really needed to make sure we were in a good, central location.

We didn’t have any accomodation booked by the time we got into the car, so the search began whilst Quinn took the wheel!

Because it was so last minute, I was really struggling to find anywhere central & good value as most places were fully booked. I didn’t want to waste unnecessary money on  average accomodation knowing we would hardly be there, thats for the adventure funds!

So….This was our home for the weekend!

We camped, I’m so glad we did! It was totally glamorous as everything was clean and ready for our arrival.

The Manor Park Farm campsite in Interlaken is perfect, firstly it has the most scenic surroundings. It’s right between Lake Thun & Lake Brienz meaning the views are breathtaking. Each night we would watch the sunset over the lake whilst enjoying a BBQ in the great outdoors! (What more could you want?!)

Secondly, It’s only a 30 minute drive away from Kandersteg, which was absolutely perfect for what we wanted to do. Interlaken is a pretty central point to explore which was great for us and our limited time frame.

Thirdly, the facilities are better than a hotel! We had so much space, the tent was huge and really well equipped.

There is plenty to do there, you could easily stay at the campsite for the week and be totally entertained. They hire out kayaks, pedalos & canoes plus offer parasailing & paragliding which is an absolutely amazing way to soak up the views.

We booked Manor Park Farm, Interlaken via hoseasons holidays. It was £130 for a 3 night stay.  They do have caravan options too. http://www.hoseasons.co.uk/holiday-parks-in-europe/manor-farm-park-manf

Kandersteg

Picnic in hand, we drove to Kandersteg ready to hit the mountains!

There are so many amazing hikes in the area, ranging from 30 minutes to 6 hours 30 minutes. The entire UNESCO site is beautiful. You could spend days exploring everything, but due to time, we decided to cheat and get the cable car half way up (18 CHF) and walk back down!

Directly at the top of the cable car route is the Summer Sleigh Run, which of course we did. We can officially say we have slid down a slide in the Swiss Alps. Such fun!

Watch the video here: https://youtu.be/G8PEKc0qKxU

The walk to Oeschinensee is like a scene from the Sound of Music! The endless views of mountains & waterfalls make you never want to leave.

Keep a look out for these little cuties along the way. Listening to their bells ringing whilst walking through the mountains is something I’ll never forget!

Oeschinensee Lake is literally one of the most pristine mountain lakes I’ve ever seen! The water is so perfect for swimming.

It’s so tranquil and peaceful in the morning, there were only about 10 other people there when we arrived, although that quickly changed by the time we left!

Come well prepared with a picnic and you could happily sit and watch the world go by all day. There are plenty of spots for a BBQ too!

Walking back down is pretty steep, make sure you have good walking shoes on with good grips to reach the bottom comfortably.

Switzerland is definitely one of those places that leaves you wanting more…

Hannah xo

…Any questions, please feel free to ask! I’ll help with your upcoming trip as much as I can! The travel community is an amazing place, I wouldn’t of packed my bags as quickly if it wasn’t for Catherine’s help!

1. Jeana
    September 1, 2017 / 8:49 am

Gltlove! Great article 🙂

2. September 1, 2017 / 7:50 pm

I wish I would have seen this a few months ago! We were just in Interlaken and I had debated the camping site!! Now I’m jealous after seeing your photos. Glad they turned out well for you 🙂

3. September 2, 2017 / 8:47 am

I’m going to Switzerland for a day trip next month and I know it’s not gonna be enough time so I’ll be back! This looks like my kinda trip, and that water is such a gorgeous colour!

September 2, 2017 / 8:49 am

Ahhh are you! It’s still definitely worth it for the day to get a little taster!

4. September 4, 2017 / 11:45 pm

It’s such a mesmerising place, your pictures do look like I am watching the scenes from the sound of music, really travel inspiring.

September 4, 2017 / 11:51 pm

Thank you so much!! The Alps are soooo beautiful. ✨

October 26, 2017 / 12:34 pm

Thanks so much Prag! So lovely of you ✨

5. October 5, 2017 / 9:41 am

Great article! I love the Alps. But… the best chocolate is to be found in Belgium haha!

October 5, 2017 / 1:17 pm

Ha ha…Someone else said the same, but I’m a sucker for Lindt!!!

6. November 25, 2017 / 11:45 am

I can’t believe you camped in Switzerland. When I was on my way to Italy we had to stop through Switzerland (this was in June by the way) and we stepped off the plane in Swiss territory for just five seconds and we’re freezing knowing that it would be summer time getting off the plane in Italy. I would love to go there and actually take the time to explore!

December 1, 2017 / 4:33 pm

Ha ha – It was pretty warm you know! The last night was a little chilly but I just wore an extra jumper. Love your page too, you look amazing 👏🏼✨

7. Johnny
    November 29, 2017 / 1:52 am

Thank you Hannah…nice post.

8. November 29, 2017 / 7:35 pm

Absolutely stunning Hannah! thank you for sharing your adventures! so inspiring.

December 1, 2017 / 4:32 pm

Thanks so much Suzanne! Love your blog too, so beautiful.

9. December 1, 2017 / 12:05 am

Love the pictures and your post 😊

10. December 8, 2017 / 8:28 pm

a great travel blog… just feels like I visited these Alps by myself.. Enjoyed!

11. December 15, 2017 / 1:48 pm

I absolutely love this post! The pictures are amazing and this is beautifully written.

12. December 17, 2017 / 7:12 pm

I actually took a trip to Switzerland back when I was in college and living on a college allowance and I don’t remember it to be as picturesque and Beautiful as this. It was however one of my favorite places to visit and still beautiful nonetheless! What a great experience and your photos are amazing! !!

13. Elizabeth O
    December 18, 2017 / 5:45 am

Such a lovely and awesome outside adventure. Perfect place to visit with family and I love seeing those breathtaking scenery. I will put this on my travel list for our next travel references.

14. December 18, 2017 / 11:38 am

Oh, your post brought back so many memories. I miss Switerzland . . nice pictures too 🙂

15. December 18, 2017 / 11:39 am

I totally agree with you, Switzerland is one of the most picturesque place I have seen. I went to Interlaken during my last visit to Switzerland, I will add Kandersteg to my travel list, love all the pictures.

16. Robin
    December 18, 2017 / 1:39 pm

This looks like my kind of camping!! The pics make me want to hope on a plane! Love it!

17. December 21, 2017 / 12:23 am

Great writing! Your trip seems truly magical. I need to travel more! I don’t know where everyone gets the time and money to go to all of these fantastic places!

18. December 22, 2017 / 12:14 am

This trip looks amazing! I have always wanted to visit Switzerland, I love the open views, the landscape looks so inspiring.

19. December 22, 2017 / 12:16 am

Oh my goodness how stunning are the alps, I love the idea of taking up the cable car and sledging down how much fun would that be!

20. December 23, 2017 / 9:37 am

Wow! What a wonderful place and such an interesting article. I am looking for places to visit next year and had pencilled in Austria…. Now I am thinking I might need to change it to Switzerland! Great photographs too x

21. December 23, 2017 / 1:14 pm

Beautiful place. I’m more of a hotel girl than a camper though. Wish I could just get up and go travelling!