Chase Distillery Experience

The perfect weekend in Hereford!

I was lucky enough to recently visit the Chase Distillery in Hereford. I’ve been looking at doing a Distillery tour for such a long time so the timing was absolutely perfect!

Chase farm is surrounded by stunning rolling countryside, so I decided to make a weekend of it. They have a beautiful hotel called Verzon House which is just around the corner from the Distillery. They include transport in some of their packages too.

Image may contain: sky, tree and outdoor

It’s such an impressive farm from the minute you arrive. I was greeted by Chloe, who was our tour guide. She’s ABSOLUTELY AMAZING! She made the tour super special & provided us all with so much information about the Chase Family & the all-important process of creating their Vodka and Gin.

Image may contain: indoor

The thing I loved the most & noticed from the very beginning, is how the family is at the heart of everything they do. It’s so special to have William, Harry & James be so involved…So you know when you’re enjoying Chase, you’re supporting a Great British family farm!

They have around 57 team members. Meet some of the team here, including the ‘Head of Decisions’ (I’m intrigued….Adrian, can I have your job please!)

For such a big global brand it is a tight little team working hard creating your drinks from start to finish. Which I think is the most unique, special part of Chase.

“We hand finish all of our spirits. That way we know that a little bit of our passion is transported in that bottle. We hope you love it as much as we do!”

– Chase Distillery

Image may contain: drink and outdoor

The tour & tasting lasted just over 2 hours. It was engaging, fun & immersive all the way through! The journey starts as you get comfy on the Chase sofa’s and begin to learn about Will’s history & how Chase was born.

Image may contain: indoor

You then start the hands-on tour, where you learn about the different steps from Field to Bottle

Step 1:  Potato Farm – It’s here that they grow King Edward and Lady Claire potatoes for the distillery, as well as cider apples for their Naked Chase Apple Vodka and Williams Gin.  It’s this single-estate approach that makes them so different – something you can taste in their award-winning vodka.

Step 2: Fermentation –  They start by mashing up the potatoes and apples, which are all harvested from the fields and orchards surrounding the farm. The apples are sweet enough to ferment naturally, but they add a brewer’s yeast to the potato mash to help it along the way.

Step 3: Distillation – They put the low alcohol wine from the fermentation stage into their bespoke copper batch pot and wait patiently as it’s distilled four times here and twice more in the rectification column. The column is the tallest of its kind in the world, at 70ft it rises through the roof of the barn!

Step 4: Bottling – After distillation, the raw spirit is tempered with water drawn from a source at the heart of the farm. Once it’s reached a much more drinkable 40% abv, they hand bottle their vodka and seal it with a handmade cork. The whole process, from farm to bottle, takes up to two weeks.

Step 5: Making Gin –  Unlike most distilleries, they opt out of buying in a readymade neutral grain spirit. They use either Chase Original or Naked Chase Vodka as the base to Williams Gins. Gin made from Vodka, who knew?

Step 6: Sustainability – As farmers at heart they value our countryside, every inch of it, from field to bottle.

Image may contain: outdoor

“It’s great fun seeing the raw materials we grow on our farm being turned into products that sit on the shelves of some of the world’s top bars.” Harry Chase, Chase Farmer

Image may contain: drink and indoor

Image may contain: shoes

There are little tasters along the way, but the real tasting comes at the end where you try four favourite Chase combinations & you have the chance to purchase your favourites.

I adore the Chase Elegant 48 Gin, Chase Rhubarb Vodka, Chase Elderflower Liqueur, William’s Seville Orange Gin, William’s Pink Grapefruit Gin, Chase Orange Marmalade Vodka….Basically all of them, I LOVE THEM ALL!

Image may contain: indoor

Image may contain: indoor

“Our passion? To bring you the best tasting Vodka and Gin our family can possibly make!

That’s our promise.” – Chase Distillery

Image may contain: 3 people, people smiling

I really did have the best weekend! Huge thanks to Chloe & the team at the Chase Distillery. I will be back!

Enjoy…Hannah xx

1. February 19, 2018 / 6:49 pm

Unother great post! Well done!
    I would like to travel there!
    Teo from Euframe.blogspot.com

2. February 19, 2018 / 7:35 pm

Oh wow this sounds like such a great place to get to go and tour! I bet it is interesting to see how everything is made and of course get a sample if you so wish.

3. Komal
    February 19, 2018 / 8:01 pm

Ooo! I would love to make a visit there. I have recently really got into gin!

4. February 19, 2018 / 9:32 pm

It sounds like a great place to visit and certainly a great way to enjoy the weekend, I will have to keep this in mind if I am ever near there

5. February 19, 2018 / 11:56 pm

Sounds like you had such a fun time at the distillery. I have never been to one so it was nice looking at the images.

6. February 20, 2018 / 7:19 am

This looks like an amazing experience, I would love to visit a disterillery and learn how spirits (particularly gin) is made

7. February 20, 2018 / 7:46 am

Sounds like a fun place to visit and learn about how they make vodka and gin. I love that they’re run by a family that has a close relationship. It’s definitely worth going to!

8. February 20, 2018 / 7:49 am

This looks great! I love doing small local distillery tours and I had no idea that Chase was in Hereford. I love their gin and would love to try some of their vodkas.

9. February 20, 2018 / 9:23 am

Love the look of that muddy jeep! Someone’s been having some epic adventures in that, lol! What a great tour to go on – I’d love to do that one day!

10. February 20, 2018 / 10:21 am

I am not really a fan of vodka but I love gin, and I’d like to try the pink grapefruit one that Chase makes. I find it very intriguing. I’d also love to visit the distillery and see first hand how the spirits are made.

11. February 20, 2018 / 10:38 am

Oh wow what an amazing experience! Im a big fan of gin, and vodka, and would love to go and learn more about the process! Fab shots!

12. February 20, 2018 / 11:04 am

I’ve been to quite a few distilleries and they’ve always been so much fun to visit, this one looks awesome, such a nice setting x

13. February 20, 2018 / 5:28 pm

This must be a great experience for you.. Its always fun doing what you have always wanted to do. seems like a calm place.

14. February 20, 2018 / 8:40 pm

I took a tour of Glenfiddich distillery in Scotland. I enjoyed it thoroughly. Chase looks even better. I am sure you had loads of fun.

15. February 20, 2018 / 11:54 pm

Now this sounds like my kind of day trip! I do love a good Gin. Fab post hun!

16. February 21, 2018 / 9:07 am

How lovely! This whole experience reminds me of a winery tour we took while in Santorini a couple of years ago. You learn so much in such day trips, thanks for sharing your experience. x

17. February 21, 2018 / 12:19 pm

Loving the pictures, especially that branded jeep. A great experience for any gin lovers.

18. February 21, 2018 / 4:18 pm

You know, I don’t drink gin at all. But I would LOVE to visit the distillery and learn about their process, both as a chemist and as a vintage lover!

19. Dannii
    February 21, 2018 / 9:02 pm

Now this is my kind of tour! I think it’s something my husband would love to do too.

20. Ann F. Snook-Moreau
    February 21, 2018 / 9:47 pm

Gin is made from vodka?! My whole life is a lie! haha I love gin and would definitely love to try the pink grapefruit kind they make here.

21. February 21, 2018 / 9:55 pm

I don’t know why, but I just can’t make myself like gin. I didn’t like rum when I first had it, but I learned to like it. Same thing with whiskey. But man… I just can’t do gin ;(

February 21, 2018 / 9:56 pm

Ohhhh! How about Vodka?

22. February 21, 2018 / 10:34 pm

I love your photos, it looks so colourful. I am a massive gin fan so would love to visit.

23. February 21, 2018 / 11:05 pm

Oh this seems like a really fun experience, I think my other half would enjoy it. I’m going to see if there’s anything like this near us for him

24. February 22, 2018 / 6:24 am

That looks like such a fun place! It surely is a must visit for everyone who loves their drinks. Nice pictures too.

25. Jess
    February 22, 2018 / 12:18 pm

I have to confess I’m not the biggest gin drinker, BUT there’s a place in Manchester that uses the espresso in a Toblerone martini and it’s amazing! I love hearing about the process behind all this. So fascinating.

26. February 22, 2018 / 12:31 pm

Wow I’d love to go on a distillery tour. Just have to find one in Pittsburgh.

27. February 22, 2018 / 6:18 pm

My gin lover friend would love this, she would be truely impressed. I love all your photos too.

28. February 23, 2018 / 4:14 pm

This sounds a great place to visit. I can see you enjoyed your tour because the photos looks wonderful.

29. February 23, 2018 / 5:14 pm

I love visiting distilleries. Last year I was able to visit and leave with samples. Best believe I went on to purchase their drinks on my own when I returned home.

30. Carrie Pinkard
    February 24, 2018 / 12:31 am

Awesome post! I loves that you walked us through the process of what went down at the distillery. Nice photography too.

31. February 24, 2018 / 8:51 am

What a gorgeous distillery. I have tried Chase marmalade vodka and OMG! Amazing!

32. February 27, 2018 / 5:23 pm

I am a vodka drinker and my partner a gin lover so we would love this for sure it looks and sounds amazing

33. March 4, 2018 / 3:39 pm

Looks like a really interesting day and you took some wonderful photos!

34. March 5, 2018 / 9:54 pm

Its on my list to visit a distillery sometime this year. This looks like great fun. That’s some doing to still manage that family feel with 57 employees.